Main Article Content
Up-regulation of mu-opioid receptors (MOR) in certain tumors has been reported. Understanding which tumors have up-regulation of MOR could prove helpful in this field of research if indeed opioids have growth effects on certain tumor cells. We attempt to create a Mu-score system that would quantify the mu receptor density of various tumors. Our study investigates immunohistochemical analysis of various tumor tissues with two commercially available opioid antibodies, both of which showed patchy reactivity within tumor tissue and nonspecific background staining. These findings suggest that currently available immunohistochemical stains are of limited utility both in assessing tumor tissue MOR density and in creating the proposed Mu-score system.
The Medical Research Archives grants authors the right to publish and reproduce the unrevised contribution in whole or in part at any time and in any form for any scholarly non-commercial purpose with the condition that all publications of the contribution include a full citation to the journal as published by the Medical Research Archives.
2. Welden B, Gates G, Mallari R, Garrett N. Effects of anesthetics and analgesics on natural killer cell activity. AANA Journal 2009;77(4):287-292.
3. Gupta K, Kshirsagar S, Chang L, Schwartz R, Law PY, Hebbel RP. Morphine stimulates angiogenesis by activating proangiogenic and survival-promoting signaling and promotes breast tumor growth. Cancer Research. 2002;62(15):4491-4498.
4. Mathew B, Lennon FE, Siegler J, Mirzapoiazova T, Mambetsariev N, Sammani S, Gerhold LM, LaRiviere PJ, Chen CT, Garcia JG, Salgia R, Moss J, Singleton P. The novel role of the mu opioid receptor in lung cancer progression: a laboratory investigation. Anesthesia & Analgesia. 2011;112(3):558-567.
5. Lennon FE, Moss J, Singleton PA. The μ-opioid receptor in cancer progression: is there a direct effect? Anesthesiology. 2012;116(4):940-945 910.
6. Farooqui M, Li Y, Rogers T, Poonawala T, Griffin RJ, Song CW and Gupta K. COX-2 inhibitor celecoxib prevents chronic morphine-induced promotion of angiogenesis, tumour growth, metastasis and mortality, without compromising analgesia. British Journal of Cancer. 2007;97(11 ):1523 -1531.
7. Zylla D, Gourley BL, Vang D, Jackson S, Boatman S, Lindgren B, Kuskowski MA, Le C, Gupta K, Gupta P. Opioid requirement, opioid receptor expression, and clinical outcomes in patients with advanced prostate cancer. Cancer. 2013;119(23):4103-4110.
8. Lupp A, Richter N, Doll C, Nagel F, Schulz S. UMB-3, a novel rabbit monoclonal antibody, for assessing μ-opioid receptor expression in mouse, rat and human formalin-fixed and paraffin-embedded tissues. Regulatory Peptides. 2011;167(1):9-13.
9. Donahue RN, McLaughlin PJ, Zagon IS. Low-dose naltrexone suppresses ovarian cancer and exhibits enhanced inhibition in combination with cisplatin. Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2011 Jul;236(7):883-95.
10. Christopherson R, James KE, Tableman M, Marshall P, Johnson FE. Long-term survival after colon cancer surgery: a variation associated with choice of anesthesia. Anesth Analg. 2008;107(1):325-332.